New to Vaping? Here’s How to Get Started
So you’ve decided to join the revolution of individuals who are vaping. But if you’re new to vaping, you may not even know what it all means. Let’s start with some basic definitions so you’ll know how to speak the lingo.
- E-Cigarette—An electronic device that vaporizes a liquid mixture containing nicotine and several other ingredients. This vapor is what you “vape.”
- E-Liquid—Combination of nicotine,
- Battery—Device’s power source. It is usually rechargeable and lasts for multiple “hits” on the E-cigarette. Most people have at least two batteries, the extra one to vape with while the other is charging.
- Cartomizer—Workhorse of the e-cigarette. It contains both the E-liquid and an atomizer that heats up and turns your “juice” into vapor. Cartomizers are powered by the battery, and some come prefilled with E-liquid, while others are fillable with a flavor of your choosing. Prefilled ones are replaced when empty, and you simply refill the other type.
- Vaping—Vaping is to e-cigarette as smoking is to cigarette. Called so because the nicotine and other ingredients in the e-liquid are vaporized to give you the sensation of actually drawing smoke into your lungs.
How does an E-Cigarette Work?
Once assembled, an e-cig looks and feels much the same as the analog (the slang term for a tobacco cigarette) version. Batteries are either manual or automatic. (A manual battery has a button you push to activate the power supply while an automatic activates when you inhale.) The vape battery heats up the atomizer, and as the e-liquid passes through it when you inhale, it’s converted into a vapor. When you inhale this vapor, you get a “throat hit” that feels much like regular tobacco smoke hitting the back of your throat.
The average e-cig cartomizer filled with your choice of E-liquid gives you as many hits as smoking about a pack of regular cigarettes. As you get comfortable with using the e-cigarette, you can branch out to other styles, such as the tanks, to find what gives you the best throat hit and vapor. And you’ll definitely want to try various liquids to find a flavor you like.
Where to start
You can order each item listed above à la carte, but the easiest way to make sure you get everything you need for vaping is with a starter kit. Most kits come with a battery, a cartomizer, a charger (the exception are disposables, which are simply discarded after use), and a handy case that holds everything. Many starter kits include more than just one of each part and also come with prefilled cartomizers so you can begin your vaping journey without having to buy anything extra.
How do I choose an E-Liquid?
Most manufacturers have small bottles of e-liquid or sampler packs so you can try many different flavors. You also have your choice of nicotine strengths to choose from, and most companies offer some E-liquid with no or very little nicotine added.
Do your research. Not all e-liquid is manufactured equally. E-Liquids that are made outside the U.S. and by many U.S. companies often don’t use the same quality ingredients that Halo’s American-made e-liquids do. You don’t really know what you’re getting mixed in with your e-liquid when you buy from overseas operations.
Some of the benefits of vaping are:
- Odorless. No more stinky car or home with ashes spilling everywhere. Your hair and clothes will smell only of the soaps you used to clean them.
- Safer. E-Cigarettes don’t need to be lit with a flame because they’re battery operated. You won’t have any more holes from hot ash falling on your clothes or furniture. No more burn marks when you let your cigarette burn down too low.
- Flavors. You choose what flavor you want to vape. The choices are almost endless, so you’re sure to find at least one that you like. Try them all before you decide. Each carries its own distinct mixture.
- Socially acceptable. Let’s face it. Cigarette smoking is not socially acceptable anymore, but e-cigarettes are less intrusive than smoking tobacco. You can smoke an e-cigarette virtually anywhere without condemnation from friends and family.
Visit our New to Vaping section to learn more about e-cigs and e-liquids.
The opinions and other information contained in these blog posts and comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of Nicopure Labs LLC, owner of the Halo and HaloCigs marks.
You might also like
A Billion Lives is a new award-winning documentary film about vaping. Directed and narrated by Aaron Biebert the film pits the vaping revolution against the corruption and politics of Big Tobacco.
Over the past year, we’ve seen an influx of high wattage mods hit the market. There was a time when 20 or 30 watts was more than enough power for
The boundless roadways of the information superhighway are congested with vaping–smoking comparisons. When it comes to news regarding the actual differences between smoke and vapor, however, the Internet’s never-ending avenues